Thursday, October 8, 2015

A Russian sister, a wheelchair, and a smile.

Dear Family,

Right now my companion and I are in Zuunharaa, on an assignment from the President.  I had a very spiritual experience in Sacrament Meeting yesterday.  As I walked into the church, I saw a white woman, Svetlana.  Weird.   I knew she was Russian right away, she just had that look.  I walked up and she said in Mongolian, "Elder….", and I replied, "Harris."  She smiled and sat down.  Next we were called to go down from the 3rd floor church building and carry the Branch's 2nd counselor, Brother Erhembayar, up the stairs.  We walked down, grabbed him in his wheel chair and carried him up the stairs and rolled him over to the stand for him to take his seat. I then saw a woman, Sister Sansaraa, running around after a baby, and she was just smiling from ear to ear, talking to her child with the sweetest, softest voice.  Sacrament started, and testimonies were shared.  Sister Svetlana bore her testimony.  With a soft, slow voice, speaking perfect Mongolian, she thanked her Heavenly Father, and said that she was so grateful to have made the right choice.  Next Sister Sansaraa bore her testimony and said how great it was to be back to church.  She and her husband, married in the temple, had been inactive for about 3 years, and were reactivated 3 weeks ago.  She said that in the past 3 weeks everything in her family's life changed. The meeting ended, and after church we carried Brother Erhembayar back down the stairs. He smiled at me the whole way down the stairs as I carried from the front. Then it hit me hard. I love this place. I love this gospel. I love my Savior. He is always there waiting to help, succor, and bring us back into his fold. How blessed am I?

For the closing song in Sacrament Meeting we sang, "The Spirit of God", and as I looked through the large windows behind the pulpit, looking over the beautiful mountains that surround this town and I couldn't hold back the tears.  Jesus Christ is our Lord and King. His gospel is here in the Earth, and it changes people!  It has changed me forever, and forever. Not only me, but a Russian sister with a solemn testimony of gratitude, a man in a wheelchair with strong faith, and a woman whose smile shows how she feels with the gospel's light back in her life.

"We'll sing and we'll shout with the armies of heaven,
Hosanna, hosanna to God and the Lamb!
Let glory to them in the highest be given,
Henceforth and forever, Amen and amen!"

Elder Harris

This is  the little town of Zuunkaraa that we visited.  This is the Kharaa River running through it.

No comments:

Post a Comment