Friday, January 3, 2014

Week 4 at the MTC


My Dear Family, 

Well once again I have had a great time this week here in the MTC.  It has definitely been one for the books.  I'll fill you in later on the details.

We had a fireside Sunday night and one of the new Branch Presidents and his wife spoke to all of us about the Holy Ghost.  It was a very good talk and it really opened my eyes at one part.  She  compared us (missionaries) to Angels.  She did this by showing how Angels were always there for Christ and his disciples when they were in need.  She said that we are Angels because we are helping the Brethren, and others throughout the world when they are most in need.  It was a really cool comparison. 

On Sunday after one of our Leadership meetings, I pulled Brother Vaughan aside.  He is a member of our Branch Presidency, and asked him a question that I have been pondering for about a year or so, but especially lately as I am here in the MTC.  My question was, "How can we know the difference between the promptings of the Holy Ghost, and our own conscious?"  He had a look on his face that kinda showed that he had never had this kind of question before.   But as true disciples of Christ should, he didn't answer the question from his own knowledge but he immediately turned to the scriptures to answer my question.  We turned to D&C 88.  In the first 15 verses or so it talks about the light of Christ, and how it feels the immensity of space.  When we are born we are all given the Light of Christ.  It is a free gift.  The Light of Christ is in essence our conscious.  We all have a brain that knows between good and evil, and right from wrong.  This was something that was new to me.  I never really thought about it like that, and I was mind blown as we read those verses. 

Next we talked about how when we are baptized we receive the Gift of the Holy Ghost as a constant companion.  As we know, the Holy Ghost gives us promptings on what we should do, and what we shouldn't.  This gift is not free, and the price we must pay is to enter into the waters of baptism and be confirmed a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, and live worthy to have the Holy Ghost with us.  He asked if all of that answered my question and I said yes, I think so.   He then told me he felt compelled to share something on another subject.  We turned to 2nd Nephi 32 and talked about the Administering of Angels and how in verse 3 is says that, Angels speak by the power of the Holy Ghost.  I will not go in depth about that, but I want you you go read chapter 32 and ponder what you read.  What I learned from Brother Vaughan and these scriptures is that whether the promptings come from The Light of Christ (D&C 88), The Spirit of The Holy Ghost, or the Administering of Angels (2 Nephi 32), it really doesnt matter.  It doesnt matter because they all come from the same source....Jesus Christ.  This really opened my eyes and gave me some food for thought.  

I am very grateful for the understanding and knowledge that I have.  I know this is the true Church of Jesus Christ.  Jesus Christ is the only way back to our Father, and we need to be anxiously engaged in always staying on the path of righteousness.  We need to be like Nephi, following the Iron Rod back to his father, and not like Laman and Lemual or the others who  were embarrassed or ashamed of the Knowledge that we have.  I am blessed to have the most sought-after knowledge in the world today, and that is that this is the true gospel of Jesus Christ.  I am only 1 of 80,000 missionaries, but God knows me, and he is cheering me on.  D&C 104: 82,  "And inasmuch as ye are humble and faithful and call upon my name, behold, I will give you the victory."   WE WANT A VICTORY!   That is all for now.

Could you please send the original copy of my Patriarchal Blessing?   I need it.  I will send it back home right after I get it, though.  Also please send a copy of my mission call, not a scanned copy that turns out yellow, but just a regular copy!   THANKS! 

I love you guys so much!!  I pray for you both every night.  THE CELESTIAL KINGDOM IS THE ONLY OPTION!

Elder Harris
Christmas Eve
 Christmas Eve. Elder Enkjargel entertaining us with his magic tricks. 
 "Behold, the field is white and already to harvest." Doc. & Cov. 4:4
 Mongolian Elders and Sisters at the Provo Temple.
 Temple visit with all the Elders in my zone. 

No comments:

Post a Comment